Sunday, May 1, 2011

Day 14: Our quietest day so far



Sorry, nothing particularly interesting to report for Sunday; probably our quietest day so far. Even the photo is lame, a gratuitous sunset image from an earlier day.

In that same spirit of "yesterday's news is more interesting than today's" I am posting the following video that Betsy took of the introduction of the SJC croquet team on Saturday.


We left Annapolis in the late morning and arrived back in Lewes about 1 p.m. Betsy spent most of the afternoon cursing at her computer because it had decided to display the screen image vertically rather than horizontally.

I rode my bike out to Cape Henlopen State Park, jogged a bit on the trails and explored the park roads and beach access points more thoroughly.

What a wonderful park. It’s diverse and accessible but not overdone. Like a lot of public places in Delaware it is functional, understated and well-maintained.

I checked in on Mr. and Mrs. Osprey at the Nature Center, via Osprey Cam. Mrs. Osprey has laid a second egg and she was sitting atop them in the nest. Mr. Osprey was nowhere to be seen – but I am sure he was probably hard at work somewhere, providing for his family as all males of every species are inclined to do.

Also I came across a sign that more thoroughly explained the capture of the German submarine that Lewesites are so proud of. It turns out that the U-boat captain gave up voluntarily in 1945, after Germany had surrendered, and this took place about 50 miles out at sea.

Thankfully Betsy was able to re-horizontal the computer screen and calm down enough to cook a delicious supper from the fresh, home-grown foods purchased at the little market she has discovered nearby. Pork chops cooked in bacon grease, asparagus and milk – all grown/raised about five miles from here. Throw in a little rice cooked with garlic and mushrooms and dredged in the leftover bacon grease---mmmm.

Wait a minute, somebody call 911! I think I’m having a heart attack!!

1 comment:

Betsy said...

I've wanted to make comments on previous posts but have been biting my tongue. I would like to amend two comments here:
There was very little (but just enough) bacon grease used in searing the pork chops before slow-cooking them. And the bacon was fresh from the farm, so isn't that more healthy?
Also, I had accomplished several hours of IABC work before accidentally hitting the fateful keys that rotated my laptop display. It took about an hour to diagnose and fix. Don't ever - and I mean EVER - hit Ctrl/Alt and an arrow key in Windows 98 unless you know what you're doing.
(Otherwise, most of what Dave's posting has been spot on.)

Post a Comment