Friday, April 29, 2011

Day 12: 47.68 miles across Delaware



I can check another item off my bucket list.

I’ve now ridden my bicycle across an entire state in just one day (actually about half a day); and (I’m adding this parenthetical thought because you may read about this topic in a future post) I did not weenie out and go across the narrowest portion of a state that is not very wide to begin with. In fact, if you care to Google up a map you will see that State Route 24 traverses the WIDEST part of Delaware.

It was a chamber of commerce day, with sunny skies, temps topping out at about 70 and relatively low humidity (but not too dry).

In other words a perfect day to ride a bike across Delaware…except for the wind.

The wind has been blowing from the west ever since we left home and today was no different. I knew this. I thought about it. I thought about having Betsy drive me to Maryland and then riding back to Lewes (with the wind at my back). But I just liked the idea of walking out the front door, hopping on the bike and riding to Maryland (with a photo op at the state sign).

So off I went and, at about the 25-mile mark, at about mid-day, when the wind began to pick up…yes, I admit there was a cuss word or two, and some second thoughts. My MPH average plummeted from nearly 15 to less than 13 by the time I made it to Maryland.

But I did make it and now, (as Ralphie Parker would say) all is right with the world.

                                           Leaving Lewes for Maryland,

Given my slow progress I expected Betsy to be there to photo-document my triumphant and historic achievement; but she came barreling up in the truck behind me just as I crossed the state line.

Betsy had been distracted by her shopping experiences at a place we learned about from a lady at the Cape Henlopen State Park earlier in the week. Tucked on an obscure side road between Lewes and Rehoboth this place (which is only open on weekends) has fresh milk in glass bottles (the kind you have to shake to mix the cream with the milk), fresh pork chops, fresh bacon and fresh-cut asparagus.

I think we have found our grocery.

On the way home from Maryland we stopped (again) at the 16-Mile brewery (which was open this time) and had a great time talking to one of the owners (a native Delawareian). Basically he, his partner and one employee produce about 500 barrels of beer per year, which they sell though distributors in Delaware and central Pennsylvania.


                     One of the owners of the 16-Mile Brewery in Georgetown serves up a sample.



We purchased a “sampler case” of their unique 22-ounce aluminum bottles and filled our growler jug with their IPA to help wash down the leftover spaghetti from last night.

We took a new route from the Maryland border back to Lewes, via the 16-mile Brewery in Georgetown, and we continue to marvel at the rural, agriculturally-based culture of southern Delaware.

Our evening was spent on the porch in a continuing search (through the binoculars) for the confoundingly elusive New Jersey coastline.

As I was typing this missive Betsy was sitting on the porch with the binoculars and she watched the ferry leave Lewes for Cape May, N.J. In doing so she noticed that the ferry took a hard right (i.e. east) turn after clearing the tip of the breakwater and (lo and behold) as we trained the binoculars in that direction (which has seems to us to be hopelessly too far east and out to sea...there was land! Water towers, lighthouses, etc.).

We may have discovered New Jersey!!

Wow, what a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment